Wednesday 4 April 2018

"It made me realise what a difference can be made in a country that focuses on its environment, sustainability and the health and well-being of people."


Name: Christina Goodband
Course: BSc Landscape Architecture
Year: 3rd
Exchange location: SLU Uppsala, Sweden

Why did you decide to take part in Erasmus?

I decided to take part in Erasmus because I have always loved travelling and saw it as an incredible opportunity. Scandinavia is somewhere I have never visited, and I wanted to understand how the profession worked over there.

Tell us a bit about your exchange, what did you particularly enjoy and what were the challenges?

I enjoyed living and working with people from all around the world. It was great to visit other landscapes and I had a great opportunity to go the Netherlands and Germany for a week. I visited many public and private gardens and gained a lot of planting design inspiration for the future.

A challenge would be adapting to a different education system, which worked differently to the UK. Swedish people are also known for being reserved, so at times it was hard to get to know people when I would be leaving within the same year.

How do you think the exchange has developed your knowledge of Landscape Architecture?

In Sweden, I felt Landscape Architecture is more well known than in the UK. Sweden has a lot of money to put into the public realm, and a high quality of life. It made me realise what a difference can be made in a country that focuses on its environment, sustainability and health and well being of people. I feel that Landscape Architecture needs more awareness in the UK, because I meet so many people who have never heard of it. It made me seriously consider a masters degree in Denmark or Sweden, although a downside is the climate! 

What would you advise someone considering an Erasmus exchange?

I would advise them not to be afraid. I was terrified at the thought of going out to Sweden without knowing anyone, and adapting to a different way of life. However, the process was easier than many probably realise. Everyone genuinely wants to get to know you and are very friendly. Its important to remember everyone is in the same boat. I would advise someone to jump at the opportunity of study abroad or Erasmus, because they may never get that chance again.

No comments:

Post a Comment