Thursday 10 November 2016

Nicole Chu at Chiba University


こんにちは!Hello! I am Nicole and I’m studying Landscape Architecture at Chiba University, Japan.


Name: Nicole Chu
Course: BA Landscape Architecture
Location of Study Abroad: Chiba University, Japan
Duration: October 2016 to January 2017

Why did you decide to take part in Study Abroad?

The world is our backyard. Not only is it an amazing opportunity to experience new things, as a Landscape Architecture student I want to learn more about the landscape designs on the other side of the world. 

Why did you choose Chiba University?

I love anime. Japan has always been a big inspiration in my life and Japanese animation has played a big part in it. Directors such as Makoto Shinkai, Mamoru Hosoda and Studio Ghibli, create stunningly beautiful films that bring imaginative landscapes to life. Japanese designers also have a big influence in the landscaping industry in Singapore, so I believe it’s a good chance to learn Japanese style designs first hand.

What are your first impressions of your exchange city?

My first thought that went through when I moved in was, “I can’t wait to try all the food.” And I did. Surprisingly, I am not tired of Japanese cuisine yet!

Most of my lab mates are in their second year of masters and they were all so welcoming and curious to know more about Sheffield and Singapore. It was really nerve wrecking at first as I barely knew Japanese and in Japanese culture one speaks to one’s peers in a formal, respectful way, but we’re all on good friendly terms now! My Japanese has also improved rapidly by conversing with them.

How does your course differ so far from what you are used to in Sheffield?

 The system here is very different from back in Sheffield. I actually had to choose my modules; and it was a nightmare. Be grateful for set modules! Thankfully, there are a lot of kind students and teachers that are ready to help in any way they could and I got through the hurdle and settled into my schedule pretty quickly.


What are you hoping to get out of your time abroad?

Firstly, I want to gain experience at a Japanese landscape design company. Secondly, to broaden my perspective for future landscape projects. Thirdly, to fully grasp a new language! Lastly, travel to as many parts of Japan that I haven’t been to yet. 

Any surprises so far?

I ate whale sashimi without knowing! But it was delicious!


またね、シェフィールド!See you later, Sheffield!

1 comment:

  1. landscape Singapore

    Chen Wa is a landscape designer company in Singapore that offers garden and modern residential landscape design to bring serenity and comfort to your open spaces.

    to get more - https://www.chenwa.com.sg/

    ReplyDelete